This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Monday, November 10, 2014

Book Review Monday: Eona: The Last Dragoneye by Alison Goodman


Goodreads Blurb:
"Eon has been revealed as Eona, the first female Dragoneye in hundreds of years. Along with fellow rebels Ryko and Lady Dela, she is on the run from High Lord Sethon's army. The renegades are on a quest for the black folio, stolen by the drug-riddled Dillon; they must also find Kygo, the young Pearl Emperor, who needs Eona's power and the black folio if he is to wrest back his throne from the selfstyled "Emperor" Sethon. Through it all, Eona must come to terms with her new Dragoneye identity and power - and learn to bear the anguish of the ten dragons whose Dragoneyes were murdered. As they focus their power through her, she becomes a dangerous conduit for their plans. . . .

Eona, with its pulse-pounding drama and romance, its unforgettable fight scenes, and its surprises, is the conclusion to an epic story only Alison Goodman can create."




Review:
This series was... not what I expected.  In a good way though!  It was such a wonderful onion book (one of those books you can either take major life lessons from and analyze down to the sentence, or just read it as a fun adventure book with some dark turns).  I really loved the issues that were presented: equality, morality, power, and manipulation.  They were deeply explored through the context of the book (and the series).

I also loved the last battle!  It was so epic and took so many turns that I actually wasn't positive it would all end up okay (because isn't that the most cliche thing a book can be?  You know, in the end, that it will all work out and everyone will live and be happy and there will be peace).  So that was definitely a nice twist.

I do have sort of a bittersweet memory of the ending though.  I feel like the last scene was sort of... abrupt.  I mean, the ending lines were amazing and epic and wonderful, but then it just felt like someone ripped it away from me and said 'yep, that's it'.  This is one of those books that could benefit from an epilogue.

I also did get annoyed with several characters for their stubbornness.  Honestly, I would say more but then I'd get on a rant and I try not to rant in my reviews...

The Final Verdict:
Overall, a very addicting book (despite it's size - 637 pages - I finished it rather quickly) with amazing messages.  Being an onion book also grants it extra points!  The ending was a bit abrupt and some of the characters frustrated me so much.
4.5 stars


Quotes:
“I have never heard a lady say 'arse,'" the emperor said mildly.
"I haven't been a lady for long," I reminded him. A little demon–made of exhaustion and the emperors smile– pushed me into adding,"For five years I've been saying 'arse.' It's hard to stop saying 'arse' after that many years. I suppose I should stop saying 'arse,' since ladies don't say-"
"'Arse'," he finished for me. 
I met his grin.” 


“History does not care about the suffering of the individual. Only the outcome of their struggles.” 


“It is not often that the real world conjures worse than what we can imagine.” 


“There was a saying that the strength of a man’s steel was only known under the hammer of circumstance. If anyone had asked me a few hours ago, I would have said that nearly five years of boyhood had hammered me into constant fear and excessive caution. But now I realised it had done the opposite. It had shaped me into someone who stepped forwards and reached for what she wanted. It was too late for me to tuck my hands behind my back and wait like a good woman.” 


“A man who lifts his chin in pride will fail to see the chasm at his feet.” 


“I know that love is about power, too. Who gives, who takes. Who is willing to risk showing their true self.” 


“Too many doubts grow in the cracks of silence and separation.” 


“You have forced your way into my Hua, Eona. Change me. First, by your power- then, just by who you are.” 

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if I should be worried.. I'm currently reading Eon right now and the beginning didn't start out well in my opinion. O_O

    I do remember seeing this at Barnes and Noble and thought the cover was really cool. Problem was, I forgot to look it up on Goodreads until my friend mentioned the series to me.

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's sad! I really liked Eon! Just hang in there... the action and revolution stuff gets better (at least I think so).

      *gasp* that's horrible! I hope you like the rest of Eon cuz that would suck if you remembered it all for nothing :P

      Delete
  2. I really want to read this series but every time I get the books, I never have time to actually read them :/
    Glad to hear that they're good tho! And awesome review :D

    ~Carina @myaddictionbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! *gasps* that's horrible! I hope you like them when you get around to them!

      Thanks :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...