This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


This is the first book in a series - the second being Hollow City
Goodreads Blurb:
"A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows."

Ok can I just say how long it's been since I've read the world "peculiar"?? I just love that word :)

One of my favorite things about this book is how the author used REAL pictures and integrated them into the story. That made me feel like I could travel where the main character did and everything would be there! Well not there because of the ending... but you know what I mean.

Also, I love this idea of peculiar children living in loops of time. I don't know HOW the author thought of this but I'm glad he did!

After hearing that little speil, you're all probably wondering why the heck I didn't give this book 5 stars. Well the answer is really quite simple. It just didn't take me there. I found it hard to picture the scenery (obviously the stuff that isn't in the pictures). I would often have to go back and reread all the room descriptions to try and form a picture.

I suppose it's really two reasons actually... I was REALLY confused when the whole 'time travel' thing was explained (jumping from loop to loop). I think that could have been elaborated on. Or maybe it's just in the next book... who knows? Well obviously the people who've read it but I haven't gotten that far yet!

Oh and one more thing that I loved! I loved the idea that Miss Peregrine brought up. How the children are actually 80 something years old and yet they still are children. It shows that life experiences are all part of growing up and these children didn't have those.

“She moved to pinch me again but I blocked her hand. I'm no expert on girls, but when one tries to pinch you four times, I'm pretty sure that's flirting.” 

“I didn’t know what to call it, what was happening between us, but I liked it. It felt silly and fragile and good.” 

“Sometimes you just need to go through a door.” 

“How many times have I told you? Polite persons do not take supper in the nude.” 

“I did love her, of course, but mostly because loving your mom is mandatory, not because she was someone I think I'd like very much if I met her walking down the street.” 

“Forgive me. I continue to underestimate the breadth of your ignorance.” 

“Stars, too, were time travelers. How many of those ancient points of light were the last echoes of suns now dead? How many had been born but their light not yet come this far? If all the suns but ours collapsed tonight, how many lifetimes would it take us to realize we were alone? I had always known the sky was full of mysteries—but not until now had I realized how full of them the earth was.” 

“When someone won't let you in, eventually you stop knocking.”

“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.” 

2 comments:

  1. I've heard some people complaining that the story feels a bit forced, as if he had these pictures and he desperately tried to form a story around them. But I think that, nevertheless, I'll get around to it eventually, because the concept of the story really intrigues me. I didn't even know that the novel had anything to do with time travel. I'm a fan of his wife's writing, so I reckon he's got to be somewhat capable of writing good stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can definitely see how people would think that. I guess it's all a matter of opinion. His wife writes too? I'll have to read one of her books too! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...